14/09/2015

A New Experience

If you follow me on instagram you may have noticed I'm not in the UK at the moment. The best and worst thing about going to an International school is the fact that after graduation everyone spreads out across the world, keeping in touch can be tricky but also totally worth it. This year has been a bit of a reunion year for me; firstly my trip to Geneva (read about it here) and now my trip to Boston.

There was one thing on my list of things to do that was a first for me...I had never been to an American sporting event before and I always got the impression that the sports fans over here were in a different league to the ones we have at home. I must say their stamina is definitely something I found tricky to contend with.

Still struggling with jet lag and the 38°C (100°f) heat wave we headed to the famous Fenway Park.



We wanted to be there early to get parked and get some food, a beer and just generally experience the atmosphere.

After grabbing a quick bite in the restaurant opposite the ball park at Cask n' Flagon we picked up a couple of baseball hats in the hope of keeping us a little cooler. We still had time to kill so headed into the Bleacher bar for a second beer. from inside you look into fenway park and can see the players warming up. One of the Canadian players came over and signed some of the kids hats - such a sweet thing to do, you could just tell it made their day!

Anyways we decided we should head into Fenway and stock up on a couple of waters to help combat the heat. We had a little wander along to see the treats on offer and just generally experience 'America's most beloved ballpark' before taking our seats.

We asked a fellow fan to take a snap of us in the bullpen car, unfortunately this wasn't their strong suit, oh well.

The game got off to a rather slow start but I believe that's a pretty common thing in both baseball and American football. I mean no offence to any American sports fans but the game seemed to be a lot of nothing and then an exciting 30 seconds or so, don't get me wrong though those 30 seconds were very exiting; balls flying into the crowd and home runs which made the spectators go crazy. Of course I had to join in and embrace it; after all that was the whole point of going to the game.


The game must've lasted 4+ hours, hence my admiration of American sports fans! I can't imagine anyone watching one football or rugby game for that long. Although it was like a constant game of musical chairs, people getting up and down every couple of minutes for a bathroom break or to get more food/drink, it was a little annoying. It felt a little more like a social event than a sports game however the atmosphere was something else!

I am so glad I went and most importantly the Red Sox won so what more can you ask for, although I must confess I didn't make it right to the end of the game. I had to fight against the jet lag after the first hour and a half, so we left a little early so that I could avoid falling asleep in the seats.

It was definitely in experience, not one I'd repeat every week but if you've never been to a baseball game its definitely worth the watch.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Emma's Joys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig